I have the entire shelving unit painted. It was fun! Very telling in how to do it once I got in and started. I painted against the grain at first, which is how I got the look in the top of the shelf, but I wanted a smoother finish, especially on top, so put a 2nd coat on the top.
As I went, it dawned on me that I needed more paint on the brush to apply a thicker coat. Overall, this unit took about 1/2 qt of paint. I made up my chalk paint using non-sanded tile grout.
Next I will be sanding. I might get to start that tonight but will have to be careful that I don’t sand too much off. I also have to decide how I want to finish this piece.
A few things I found helpful are to make sure I had a towel handy to wipe off paint that I wear..LOL
Starting from the back of the deep shelves in the center of the unit, with the brush loaded, painting with the grain was best for me. I have the unit sitting on cardboard, but next time I will use 2×4’s to raise it up because there are two corner’s that I can’t get to. A clean working environment is a must. Having two dogs that both have long hair make that difficult. I will confess now that this piece has a few hairs painted in. LOL
It will be a day or two before I post again because I have other things to do in my room before I can out this unit back in there, and I have to walk the dogs, cook and all that other domestic stuff. shop and cook for myself & my brother and I am designated driver for my elderly parents too.
Here is a photo of the shelves all painted
These are my babies who now get to go for a long well deserved walk!